Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 191, July 13

I have little patience for the pretenders in life.

They fill our schools, our workplaces,  and, at times, even our churches.  Who are the pretenders?  They are the people who pretend they will do a job, only to slough it off on to someone else out of selfishness, laziness, or lack of care. 

Because I am a writer, I am an observer, a people-watcher.   (I also make up stories about the people I watch, so beware:  you might find yourself in a story someday.)  At church, I watch as leaders of organizations scurry around to find a substitute when someone doesn't show up to fullfill his calling.

Those in the workplace have the same experience when an employee promises to complete a job, only to abandon it when it turns cumbersome or difficult.  Even families are not free of pretenders, those mothers and fathers who cast aside their responsibilities and obligations to their most precious stewardship:  their children.

This I know for sure:  pretenders are only pretending at life. 

2 comments:

  1. An interesting concept, these pretenders. I do believe they are out there. Heck, I've probably been known to be one at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also see the pretenders fade away when the glory and spotlight fade. When the going gets tough, the pretenders get going. . . away.

    ReplyDelete