Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 199, July 20

Today, the 20th of July, is my sister Carla's birthday.

I celebrate it, just as I celebrate her.  To know Carla is to love her.  And to love her is to be  better because of it.  In the past years, Carla has endured much.  Health problems.  The loss of her beloved husband.  More health problems.  But she keeps going.  Faith in the Lord and a loving family have made her strong, as have the inner resources she calls upon again and again.

Carla and I have always been closer than sisters, more intimate than friends.  We share our triumphs and our defeats, our joys and our pains, out srengths and our weaknesses.  In fact, there is little we don't share.  In many ways, we are different.  She is patient and long-suffering.  I am not.   She shops at Nordstroms.  I shop at garage sales.  But, in spite of these differences, or, perhaps, because of them, we are there for each other.  In the parlance of the world, we have each other's backs. 

This I know for sure:  I am  a better person because of my sister.

1 comment:

  1. It's so neat that you all are so close. You forgot another difference. She chews gum and you do not. I'll always remember that from my youth. LOL I love you both!

    ReplyDelete