Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 122, May 5

Do you find yourself peppering your oonversations with "should haves" and "could haves?"  I do.  It seems my life is made up of should haves and could haves.  I have a dear friend who advises "Don't should on yourself."

The truth is, should haves and could  haves are a kind of resentment.  Resentment at ourselves.  Resentment at others.  I have a list of should haves and could haves in my life.  A few days ago, I wrote about one, when I failed to act on an impulse to do something for someone else, only to learn that she died a few days later.   Instead of dwelling on the "shoulds," I would be better off spending my time in finding new ways to help someone else.

The shoulds and coulds that I didn't do fill me with regret.  How much better off would I be if I worked with purpose, instead of being consumed with regret?

This I know for sure:  focusing on shoulds and coulds takes time and energy from doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment