Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 127, May 10

"Seek for the highest which is within you." 

I have this motto cross-stitched on a picture in my bedroom.  It serves as both a reminder and a chastisement.  The sad truth is, I don't always seek for the highest which is within me.  Too often, I am content for a mediocre "good enough."

Good enough covers many of my efforts.  My relationships are good enough.  My piano playing is good enough.  My writing is good enough. 

In some things, it's fine to be good enough.  For example, housekeeping.  No one is going to accuse me of being a "white glove" housekeeper.  I try to keep things picked up so that the Board of Health does not sweep down upon us, but I am far from fastitidous.

But what about other things?  Is it all right to be good enough in my relationships with family and friends?  I don't think so.  Is it all right to be good enough in my relationship with the Lord.  Absolutely not.  Yet, I settle for the mediocre when I could strive for so much more.

This I know for sure:  good enough will not take me where I want to go. 

1 comment:

  1. Great comments Mom. In my head, I have grand plans of often being more than just good enough. Although, I must admit, sometimes my plan is just to obtain the good enough mark, depending on how I'm feeling.

    Anwyay, you're right in that there are some things in which it is alright and others, where we must strive to be better than good enough.

    ReplyDelete