Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 126, May 9

A few days ago at church, a man bore his testimony about grace. No matter what we do, we are dependent upon the Savior's grace. No amount of good works, no amount of meetings attended, no amount of prayers uttered, indeed, no amount of anything will "earn" our way to heaven.

I listened and silently applauded his words, even though I too frequently fall into the trap of believing that I can work my way to heaven. If I am good enough, I reason, if I am generous enough, if I am obedient enough, surely I can find my way back to the Savior. The truth is, I can't I will never be good enough, generous enough, obedient enough, or anything else enough to return to the Savior by ... myself.

Grace is being given what we don't deserve. Certainly I am undeserving of the Savior's grace. Certainly I am undeserving of His love. But He gives both, unstintingly, not just to me, but to all who seek Him.

This I know for sure: without grace, I am lost. With it, I am found. Forever.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this good reminder. Dad and I have talked some about grace over the last year. It's kind of a hard concept to grasp, that it is freely given to us, that we don't deserve it and that we never will. We have just got to do our best and our Savior's grace will make up the rest.

    ReplyDelete