Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 144, May 27

Yesterday I wrote about the perils of becoming a victim.  Today I'd like to turn that around and talk about how to become a heroine in your own life and that of others.

I'm fortunate enough to have many heroines in my life:  my daughter Alanna, my sister Carla, and friends--Jeannie, Laurie, Janet, Marilyn, Barbara, Tami, Marian, Joan, Myrna, Amanda, Deliese, Holly, Phyllis, Natalie, and a host of others.  They show me what I can be, what I can do, if I try a little harder.

How did these ladies become heroines?  For one thing, they show up.  When they have a job to do, they show up.  I've written before about those who show up and those who show off.  These women don't waste their time showing off.  They have too much to do.  For their families.  For their friends.  For their community. For their church.  For their Lord.

What else do they do?  They open their eyes and look beyond themselves.  When they perceive a need, they act on it.  They also open their ears and listen with their hearts.  When they hear a plea for help, even when it's unspoken, once again, they act on it.

This I know for sure:  being a heroine trumps being a victim every time.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Mom and thanks for mentioning me. I'm honored to have made that list. I haven't thought much about heroines in my life but you would also make the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Alanna, I'm honored to be on your list. Your quiet, unassuming kindness makes you a heroine to me! I'm blessed to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete