Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 123, May 6

"The plain fact is that the world does not need more successful people, but it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these qualities have little to do with success as our culture has defined it." - David Orr
I love this definition of success.  How many of us are chasing the world's idea of success?  And how many of us find true happiness or joy when we reach it?

I am  frequently amazed at the number of actors and actresses, sports figures, and others, blessed with talent, money, and beauty, who seem to "have it all" but fail to find happiness in their personal lives.  The fact that I am amazed at this says little about my own character, for, in thinking that these superstars have it all, I am ascribing to the idea that worldly things equal happiness.

Under Orr's definition, we could all be successful, if we gave of ourselves, if we made a concerted effort to make our small part of the world a better place.  Could I make a difference if I volunteered more often?   Absolutely.  Could I make a difference if I resolved to pick up trash in my daily walk through the neighborhood?  Of course.  Would either of these change the world?  Maybe.  Maybe someone else would see me and decide to do something as well.

Who knows where one small act will lead? 

This I know for sure:  eternal success will not be measured in dollars or power or beauty.  It will be measured in how much we loved.

1 comment: