Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 137, May 20

Lately I've been thinking a lot about roles in life.

As I talked with my sister the other day, she told me that she was  taking a grandson to a movie in the morning then picking up another grandchild and spending the rest of the day with her.   After her husband's death, my sister received some well-meaning but misplaced advice that she should get a job.    :You need to keep busy," friends told her.

"Should I be working?" she's asked me more than once.

"What could you be doing that is more important than spending time with your grandchildren?" I answered.  "When you look back on your life, will you be more happy or less happy that you chose to make a difference in your grandchildren's lives?"

Please don't get me wrong.  Work is noble and financially necessary for many. However, my sister is well provided for and desires to spend her time serving and helpinig, especially in her family.  She has chosen a role that gives meaning to her life and to those of others. What greater work can there be?  Her path is not right for everyone, but it is right for her.

This I know for sure:  finding our path, discovering our role, is a task we must all do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful that Aunt Carla doesn't have to work in order to support herself. How wonderful that she can spend time with her grandchildren. That is just wonderful. I hope you and Reynna are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have to sort through the advice and expectations of others. Ugly work, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete