Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 133, May 16

I have a frieind whose mother is her biggest champion, her greatest cheerleader.  My friend is in her 60s, her mother well into her 80s, yet she never misses an opportunity to tell anyone and everyone, indeed, to tell the world how wonderful her daughter is.

What a gift this mother has given her daughter.  What a blessing she is, not only to this daughter but to all who know her.  When I am around my friend and her mother, I smile and silently applaud their sweet relationship.  At the same time, I am envious.

Encouragement is an art.  It is a talent.  I sometimes wonder what our world would be like if more people encouraged each other, with simple, honest praise and heartfelt words.

Some people, unfortunately, withhold encouragement or parcel it out with stingy hands and heart.  How sad.  For them and for the people whose lives they could have touched in a positive way.

Like Moses, I am "slow of speech."  I do not have the gift of the spoken word.  Instead, I try to write notes of encouragement, notes to let a friend know I am thinking of her.  I wish I could tell my friends in words how much I think of them.  And, maybe, just maybe, I will find that strength someday. 

This I know for sure:  words of encouragement are as necessary.  They are food for the soul.




3 comments:

  1. I only wish I were more slow of speech at times. Too often, my thoughtless words are so harsh, inappropriate, and brash that I cause offense and hurt feelings. I have no intention of so doing but the effects remain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, My mom is my biggest cheerleader. I cannot tell in words what this has been to me over my life. The older I get the more I understand how that belief influenced many of my decisions. To this day, she always incourages me, sometimes I call her specifically to turn the conversation to me and my problems, so I can hear her words of praise or encouragement........it's amazing what someone elses confidence in you can make you believe in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely appreciate all your encouraging words and when you tell me that you bragged about me to your friends. Makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete