Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 140, May 23


"Do you wish to be rich, enriched, or enriching?"  -- Anonymous

I found this quote in a writers' newsletter and was intrigued by the juxtaposition of words.  What do I want to be?  I admit it:  I have at times longed for riches.  At another time, I longed to be enriched by the experiences I have.   And I still wish for those things--there is nothing wrong with desiring to be rich or enriched if we share our abundance with others.  But now, I also wish to be enriching.

What does it mean to be enriching?  One meaning is to give support to another.  Another is to provide intellectual stimulation.  A higher meaning takes us to the spiritual level where we give hope and comfort to those in need. 

The desire to be enriching led me to start and continue this blog.  Please don't misunderstand; I do not flatter myself that my words are providing sustained enrichment.  However, I do hope that they give an occasional moment of thought, of insight, of understanding.

This I know for sure:  what we want--to be rich, enriched, or enriching--determines the kind of life we lead.

2 comments:

  1. What a great quote, I like it a lot. I'd probably say yes to all 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's food for thought, especially in my average daily choices.

    ReplyDelete