Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 57, March 1

How many times have you heard or used the phrase, "Live up to his (or your or her or one's) potential?" Probably a lot.

I know I have. I've used it about myself, asking why haven't I lived up to my potential. There's always a faintly pejorative tone about this question, as though there is more that I could do (and there is), more that I could be (again, there is), more that I can give (true again).

Recently I heard a different spin on these words: live up to my privilege. The words resonated within me. Certainly, I have been privileged. I was privileged to be raised by loving parents. I was privileged to have a sweet sister. I was privileged to marry in the temple to a good man. I am privileged in many ways. Indeed, anyone was born in the United States is privileged.

Have I lived up to those privileges? Not always. I take too many for granted. I take them as my due. Worse, I occasionally feel entitled because of those privileges. And there is, perhaps, no word that bothers me so much as that of "entitled." It conjures up all sorts of negative images.

This I know for sure: if I am to live up to my privilege, I need to find a grateful heart.

2 comments:

  1. I find that I struggled with this post because part of me wants to feel entitled instead of feeling gratitude. Ugly, but there it is. Thanks for this post. I obviously needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great phrase, live up to your privilege. I really like that and I agree with you 100% that anyone bor in in the US is indeed privileged.

    I often xpress gratitude in my prayers for that privilege.

    ReplyDelete