Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 59, March 3

A few days ago, I received the author copies of my latest book, A MAN FOR AMANDA. I was thrilled to hold the book in my hand. A MAN FOR AMANDA has a long and convoluted history. I started it some years ago and started submitting it a year later. It was rejected. And rejected. And rejected.

I revised. More rejections. I revised again. And was rejected again. I put it away and focused on other projects.

Several years ago, I pulled it out and decided that it deserved another chance. After polishing it (yet again), I submitted it. It came back, but this time with detailed suggestions for changes. I made the revisions, said a prayer, and re-submitted.

It was accepted.

What is the moral of this story? If you guessed that I possess a healthy dose of stubbornness, you'd be right, but that is not the moral. If you guessed the power of persistence, congratulations.

I've watched other writer friends over the years, writers who have a great deal more natural talent than I do. Some have gone on to publish many books, but others, too many, gradually gave up. That is certainly their right, but I always wanted to tell them, "Try one more time."

This I know for sure: persistence (and a healthy dose of stubbornness) kept my book and my dream alive.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jane! This is a great tale about persistance and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Mom for keeping up with this. Persistence is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete