Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 86, March 30

Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it
go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.

- Maxim
Gorky

A sweet friend sent this quote to me. It caused me to pause and re-read it. How many times have I pinned my happiness on "big" things? The completion of the addition to our home? The sale of a book? The wedding of a child?

These are all wonderful. I can't deny it. But they are not the regular, everyday occurrences that normally make up my life.

Happiness is a card in the mail from a nephew who took the time to choose something with a kitty on it. Happiness is a hug from a grandchild. Happiness is reminiscing with my sister. Happiness is an unexpected visit from a friend. Happiness is laughing over life's absurdities.

Happiness is also discovering that I can do something for someone else. Happiness is making an Easter basket for a friend. Happiness is sending a gift to my faraway grandchildren. Happiness is listening to uplifiting music.

This I know for sure: happiness--and life--are made up of small things that deserve our appreciation.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of Charles Schulz's Love Is. . . book I had as a child. It was full of little things, like a warm hug, a friend (not so little, really), a blanket (Linus's), and the like. If we are only looking for the big shining explosions of happiness, we will miss the little flickers that will keep us sane in the interim.

    ReplyDelete