Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 74, March 18

I was never an athlete. Not as a grade child. Not as a teenager. Not as an adult. I was one of those pitiable children who was always the last chosen when teams were divvied up, whether for football, softball, volleyball, or any other kind of ball.

"You have to take Jane," one team captian called to the other. "No, you have to take her," the other called back. In the end, I slunk to the end of the team of the "losing" team and took my place with the lowliest of the lowly players.

It was a lowering experience. I went home in tears and resolved never to put myself in that position again.

I've moved past it, but it's hard to forget the humililation. Finding that there were things I was good at was balm to my wounded ego, but I never completely forgotten the hurt. As I grew older and (I hope) a bit more mature, I realized that there are things far more important to be chosen for in life.

Let's name some: Being chosen as a friend is certainly more important. Being chosen as someone who will get the job done when a task needs doing is also more important. And, at the end of this life, being chosen by the Lord to stand on His right hand side is the most important of all.

This I know for sure: being chosen for a team is great; I just need to make certain the team is one that matters.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. As President Hinckley said, "It is not enough to be good, we must be good for something."

    ReplyDelete