Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 80, March 24

Poetry is eternal graffiti written in the heart of everyone.

- Lawrence
Ferlinghetti

I have no talent for poetry. Occasionally I make up foolish verses for friends and family, but they hardly count as poetry.

But poetry touches my heart and soul. I have friends who craft beautiful poems, creating masterpieces with a minimum of words but a maximum of feeling. What joy they bring to others.

And then it occurred to me: is there not poetry in a myriad of things? When I see my daughter lovingly tend to her children, I find poetry in her message and tenderness. When I watch a friend help another, I see poetry in her compassion. When I hear a child sing in an off-key voice the words of a hymn, I once again find poetry. For poetry does not belong solely to the wordsmith, but to each of us if we search our lives for what is good and true.

This I know for sure: poetry is a gift that can belong to all of us.

1 comment:

  1. When I think of poetry or compare something to poetry, I am sensing a certain grace in that thing. Grace only comes from our God. That is why I believe that poetry, in all its forms, comes from God. What about "poetry" that has no intention of being uplifting in any way? I believe it to be another of Satan's counterfeits.

    ReplyDelete