Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 85, March 29

"May today
there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant
to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in
yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on
the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the
way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the
freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of
us."
How many times do I look to the past ... or to the future... rather than focusing on today? How many times do I find things to regret from yesterday, things to fear for the future, all of which are out of my control?
Too many.
Why don't I cherish today? Why don't I look for and find those "infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others?"
The answer is simple: I'm a foolish child who constantly needs the nuture of my Father. Without Him, I can't make it through today. With Him, I can make it through today and every day to come.
This I know for sure: Today is all I have to work with. I would do well to make it count.

3 comments:

  1. President Monson siad in the YW broadcast, "Life by the inch is a cinch, by the yard it's hard".

    The Savior said, "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." In 3 Nephi, we have a slightly different recording of the Savior's words. The last part is, "Sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof".

    In Matthew, I hear something like, "You've got all you can handle right in front of you, so don't go buying trouble." In 3 Nephi I hear, "You'll be given the strength for what you have to face today if you ask for it". I need both of those messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, too often, I am focused on the future, wishing away today. When in truth, I often catch myself wondering what happened to past times, when the kids were smaller. I suppose I should have been more focused on "today". Thanks for this good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of an old blog post I was re-reading last year of my own. One of the key points I wrote was that "today I have today". What I did or didn't do yesterday did not matter. What I might do tomorrow does not matter. But today is what matters. We all have the same amount of "today". Those who choose to use today, and not dwell to much on the "yesterday" or the "tomorrow" will have a much better day.

    ReplyDelete