Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 73, March 17

I love to watching decorating shows. I love seeing what talented men and women can do with some paint, lengths of board, and fabric. I lack any talent in this area but am still fascinated with what others can accomplish. To a one, the decorators start with the decluttering process.

Getting rid of clutter is a popular theme. We're instructed by the experts to make three piles--give away, toss, and keep.

For a dyed-in-the-wool Mormon frugalista, getting rid of things is hard. What if I need it (substitute whatever noun you like here) someday? What if I toss a doohickey only to find out ten years down the road that I desperately need another doohickey? What if?

I'm getting better at the process and even take a certain satisfaction in cleaning out closets and drawers and ridding my home of unwanted items. What I am not making much progress at is tossing out unneeded emotions. You know the kind I mean--those nasty, niggling ones like jealousy, grudges, hurt, envy, and a host of other parasites that cling to my soul like fat cells after a cheesecake binge cling to my thighs.

This I know for sure: decluttering is necessary for maintaing a home; it is also essential for my salvation.

3 comments:

  1. Another great analogy Mom. This is great food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheesecake indeed. I know the ones you mean. We live in a culture of abundance, so we have an abundance of stuff and emotions. I wonder if our emotions would be pared down if our circumstances were humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane. I finally took some time to look over your blog again and I'm loving it. Thank you for your wisdom and for sharing it here. Hope you are recovering quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete