Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 87, March 31

Yesterday I wrote about small happinesses. As so frequently occurs, I neglected to include something important, a whole set of happinesses--that of work.

After my surgery, my doctor gave me a list of things I couldn't do for at least six weeks. In a fugue from the surgery, I didn't pay a great deal of attention. Only later, when I was home and starting to feel better, did I realize that I was severely restricted.

I wasn't allowed to vacuum. I wasn't allowed to bend over, which meant no laundry, no cleaning out the cat litter, and a myriad of other little bits of maintaining a home. Doesn't sound like much, does it? The fact is, I miss doing the small chores around the house.

Performing these tasks, however trivial they seem, provides me with a sense of accomplishment. That accomplishment, in turn, adds to my happiness.

I can hear you groaning now. What, the poor woman is complaining about not having to clean? With all the blessings that have been heaped upon me, I have no right to complain. And I'm not. But I do miss the satisfaction that comes from work. Even my writing has had to be postponed as I can't sit for any length of time, and I tire easily.

This I know for sure: with work comes satisfaction, and with satisfaction comes joy

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! I know exactly what you mean! Work is the pathway to self-worth and self-respect. I remember how I felt when the nurse at the hospital told me that I could not carry my baby out to the car--that was too heavy for me. You can bet that as soon as we were out of sight of that nurse that I took my baby back. What kind of mother can't carry her own newborn? That was such a small restriction, and it really was unnecessary.

    Having said that, yours are necessary, so you be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work does make us feel good, although I think some living in my house might disagree.

    ReplyDelete