Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 78, March 22

The other night, Larry and I couldn't find our kitty, Harley. Because our grandchildren had been visiting, I worried that she might have gotten out unnnoticed. Before we panicked, though, we tried something. Experience has taught us that if we rattle her food jar, she will come.

Sure enough, Harley showed up at the sound of her food jar being shaken. The incident set me to thinking (again, one of those weird chain of events that set my brain on a shaky path).

What does it take to get me to "show up?" Does the food jar need to be shaken to get my attention? Does life need to throw a curve my way to get me to wake up to a problem? Yes. And yes. As much as I believe I've made progress in figuring out life and what my role in it is, I still flounder, still toddle about, still making more than my share of mistakes.

I wonder if the Father feels the need to rattle the food jar so that I'll pay attention to what He wants me to do. Does He want me to serve others more? Of course. Did He decide to remind me of that by laying me up for a while, rendering me incapable of getting out and, at the same time, giving me unlimited time to think of how I can change for the better?

This I know for sure: my food jar needs to be shaken occasionally to get my attention.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect! I also need to have my food jar rattled. I think most of us are like that. Perhaps that is in part why we are asked to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If He would only rattle it filled with brownies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found her and realized possibly a better way to do so.

    ReplyDelete