Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 83, March 27

A couple of days ago, I was able to attend church for the first time in three weeks. Not until I was seated in the chapel, until the organ music wafted over me, did I realize just how much I had missed attending church.

Though I absolutely believe that I can worship the Father without being in a formal church setting (just as I can pray without getting to my knees), I also absolutely believe that joining my worship with that of others, that uttering "Amen" at the close of a prayer with others, give added meaning to my worshhip. There is power in unity, strength in togetherness.

As I looked about the congregation, I found myself smiling at the antics of the little girl who sat in the row in front of us. Her sweet face was a blend of innocent mischief and devotion. Who could resist such a sight?

Certainly not me.

I noticed other things as well. I noticed the tears in one sister's eyes as she praised the Lord with a hymn. I noticed the tenderness with which a mother held her baby. I noticed the love between members of the congregation who are, in a very real sense, family.

This I know for sure: worship can be done alone or joined with others. The importance lies in the spirit I bring to the act.

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful that your spirit was back with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to attend church and feel of the spirit there.

    ReplyDelete