Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 64, March 8

Mormon wards (congregations) aren't always known for their reverence. We are a family church with little children and babies making the noises that little children and babies make. You know what? I love that.

I love the sounds of children. I love the coos, the gurgles, the hiccups, even the occasional shriek. For who is closer to the Lord than children who have so recently come from His presence?

When my children were small, I tried to teach them reverence. At the same time, though, I recognized that they were being exactly what they were--little children. When I look at young families now, I smile and wish I could reassure the sweet mothers and fathers that it's all right that their children don't sit like little robots, that it's all right if they ask questions sometimes and sing a different song from that that the congregation is singing, that it's all right if our meetings aren't pin-drop quiet.

This I know for sure: Heaven will be filled with the sounds of children.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, anyone who wants silence during a church meeting is sadly going to be out of luck.

    ReplyDelete